Father of the Bride

Posted: February 10, 2012 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , , , ,

When my oldest daughter was two years old, I watched The Father of the Bride. (The 1991 remake with Steve Martin, not the Spencer Tracy classic from 1950) Someone had told me it was a great comedy. I was totally ambushed by the flood of feelings that came at the thought of letting my little girl go. I suddenly realized with more than a little panic, “From here on out, my fathering is a gradual letting go! I thought it would be different. I don’t know if I can do this!”

That was then, this is now. Earlier this week, an outstanding young man called me to ask for my blessing and counsel as he and my oldest daughter planned a wedding and a life together. Again, I was a little unprepared for my emotions. Years ago I expected to laugh. This time around I expected to grieve. In both cases, I was wrong.

I’m excited for Rebekah and Philippe. They love the Lord. They are facing life with courage, creativity, and compassion. They laugh easily and include others well. They bring out the best in each other and don’t shy away from the rest. They are not conformers, but transformers with the favor of God clearly on their lives. Those that know Philippe talk about what an incredible guy Rebekah is getting. Those that know Rebekah talk about the treasure that Philippe has found. I’m as proud as can be to be Rebekah’s dad. And I’m as pleased as possible to welcome Philippe to the family.

God gave us an incredible gift with Rebekah’s life….a gift that keeps on giving. I probably will cry at the wedding. But it will be tears of joy and thanksgiving!

Comments
  1. stacy says:

Ahh…. tears. and I don’t know either of them! Congratulations. to you and Anna Marie and to the happy couple.

2. Life Long Learner says:

I can’t watch Father of the Bride without tearing up. Yes, this 6’3″ 230 lb. guy admits it! I’m glad you’re going through it before I am because then you can share some tips with me. ;o)

Love and hugs to all of your family as you celebrate the first of *many* engagements. Chew on that one for a while!

3. Matt and Toni Daniels says:

Okay… Hal, somehow this means that you and I are going to be related now… We just haven’t worked out the family connection officially between us and Philippe yet! I am excited for you as a Dad… I suppose the next 10 years or more will just fly by for me too and I will be in the same position. Congratulations on the son-in-law you will be getting!

4. Tom Hoffmann says:

CONGRATS!!!!! CONGRATS!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

5. Anna Lisa Nicholas says:

I’m so excited for Rebekah and your family, Hal. I’m so glad she found a Godly man to be her partner in life. Your post made me tear up! It’s good for us girls to see things from a Daddy’s perspective sometimes!

6. Rachel says:

This is so beautiful! Congrats to you all, and a very special congratulations to Rebekah! You are all in my prayers especially Rebekah and her fiancé as they prepare for marriage.

• halhamilton says:

Rachel,

So good to hear from you. Thank you. I will let Rebekah know. We love and miss you all.

• halhamilton says:

Watched this movie tonight again with Rebekah and Philippe after a double date to a French restaurant. Some laughter and some mutual empathy. Very interesting…and very fun… to watch it with my daughter and her fiance almost 20 years later